Carrier for wheelchair- the basics:
As wheelchairs are generally heavy, people almost always need to transport them to a place where they will be used. This will either be at home, to a friends house, to their doctors office, to a community center, to a theater or to sports and recreational facilities.
For this reason, the market place is filled with a wide variety of equipment that can help in the process of transporting wheelchairs. Almost every wheelchairs are able to be transported within a vehicle either by a wheel chair carrier for car or directly into the trunk of a car or truck.
The first example is a wheelchair carrier for car. This is a device that is generally fitted into the trunk of the vehicle and then the wheelchair is loaded onto it and secured.
The second option is a wheel chair carrier for the back of a vehicle. Generally think of as a wheel chair carrier for SUV. This device can work very well for all types of wheelchairs, but works the best with wheelchairs that have a small base or narrow wheel base.
Determining which wheel chair carrier is the best one for you, is very simply. If you have a wheelchair that has a narrow wheel base or a smaller base, then a wheelchair carrier specifically for a SUV will be the best choice for you.
1. Goplus Wheelchair Carrier Mobility Scooter Loading Ramp Heavy Duty Strong Hitch Cargo
- Top rated wheelchair ramp
- Sturdy and large stable ramp
- Easy to transport
- Foldable for back-up
- Heavy duty construction
Goplus is a well-known brand and manufacturer of a large number of home and commercial products. They make products that are made up of durable materials and of high quality. It is no doubt that this wheelchair ramp can carry loads over 500 lbs.
When in use, this ramp will help you by providing ease of accessibility to vehicles. For example, you’ll be able to access the trunk and carry items in and out. And it’s also much easier to lift the wheelchair than it is to lift a person. Fold it up and put it into the trunk if it’s in your way.
The mobility assistance ramp is built strong enough to support your heavy disability loads. It’s a great ramp for a manual or power wheelchair. The ramp is designed to be car-friendly and is strong enough to handle your large load.
2. Economy Hitch Mounted Mobility Scooter Carrier Rack
- The product is compatible with most golf carts, jogger style scooters, and wheelchair chairs
- It is made from steel
- The design is very user-friendly
- With removable ramps, it can glide easily and smoothly to be loaded onto your vehicle
- It is equipped with safety chains and safety tie downs techniques
- It comes with built-in safety belts
- There are no tools required for assembly (even for the tie downs)
- It has a strong steel construction
- It has a welded tubular steel frame
- The product is available in 2 colors
3. Silver Spring Manual Wheelchair Carrier
- Tilt up and down feature
- Fits most wheelchair and scooters
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Foldable for easy storage
- Easy to carry
- Padded components
- Comes with secure straps to prevent accidental drops
- Rubber wheels for easy maneuverability
- Discontinued model
- The plastic might break easily
- The instructions are very poorly written
- Padding isn’t very durable
If you are looking for a durable and adjustable wheelchair carrier you should consider this choice from Silver Spring.
4. ALEKO MC400 400 Pound Capacity Wheelchair and Power Scooter Folding Cargo Carrier Rack
- Supports 400 pounds of weight
- Folds down when not in use
- Carries two wheelchairs at once
- Compatible with all tricycle types
- Has an easy to use pull pin
- Fold up ramp is included
- Folds down for easy transport
- Very safe way to transport powerchairs and wheelchairs in the back of a vehicle
- Nitrile wheels make for a very easy transition from the ramp to the ground
- Made of high quality steel
- May not work with wheelchairs or scooters which have integrated batteries.
- This is one of the most popular wheelchair and power scooter carriers on the market.
- The unit boasts the ability to carry up to 400 pounds of weight offering a great way to take along wheelchairs for vacations.
- With this carrier it is also possible to carry two wheelchairs or powerchairs at once.
- The rack is very easy to install and can be fitted to any vehicle.
5. 500lbs Strong Wheelchair Hitch Carrier Mobility Electric Scooter Loading Ramp
- The best thing about this product is that it can support 500lbs weight.
- This product is tall enough to easily accommodate wheelchairs.
- The larger foldable size and weight makes this product perfect for families.
- There is quite an adjustment period for users to grow accustomed to the tight fit.
- You will be able to use this product in less than five minutes.
- This product is more expensive compared to other wheelchair transfer ramp options.
- Despite being able to support the needed weight, some reviewers have reported seeing some bending in the frame after heavy use.
- The product requires a lot of squeezing to install.
This product is best suited for large families.
6. Silver Spring SC500-AF Folding Aluminum Scooter and Wheelchair Carrier
- With a 500-pound weight capacity, it can accommodate most wheelchairs and scooters
- Easy to set up and fold up
- Lightweight and portable
- Fits on the rear of most SUVs and minivans
- Metal hooks may scratch up the bumper of your car
- Hooks and locks are not as stable as others on the market
For people who like to take large wheelchairs and scooters with them, it is important to have a carrier they are comfortable with. The Silver Spring SC500-AF offers a maximum weight capacity of 500 pounds and measures 30 by 48 by 30 inches and weighs 16.1 pounds. It features a quick release design for easy loading and unloading. This product does require assembly and will require a trailer hitch to be able to be used.
We really like the idea of offering a really large weight capacity with a low weight capacity. This means you can carry an extra heavy Scooter and have your cargo on the rear of your vehicle come in much shorter. The Silver Spring Scooter Carrier is easy to set up and fold away, but it can scratch up the bumper of your vehicle once you leave the rear of your vehicle down.
Because we have human backers, we have to keep our backpacks and everything. It can be very irritating to have to bend over every time you hit a bump. A wheelchair carrier for a vehicle is like a built-in baby seat.
The wheelchair carrier is considered the best alternative to on-board wheelchairs for people with temporary impairments. This is because of the following outstanding features.